Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pretty & Polished - I'm not a banana!

     Every now and then, I'm pretty sure that some people look at my nails and wonder, "What made her pick that polish?" Or, a little more judgey, "Why does that polish even exist?!" When said polish is a yellow jelly, I forgive them. They'll never understand why I'm not a banana! is so awesome. I don't bother to tell them that it's from Pretty & Polished's Mathematical! Collection, which is inspired by Adventure Time. I don't feel like explaining what Adventure Time is, that my boyfriend and I looove the series, or that this polish represents Jake the Dog. (Not, as they might assume, a bumblebee.) They definitely won't appreciate my love for Pretty & Polished, or that I exclaimed "Oh my Glob!" when I first started to apply this. But you, my lovies, you might understand...

 

     I'm not a banana! is a yellow jelly base with large black and white matte hex glitters, as well as small matte white glitters. I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive about wearing a yellow jelly, but my love for Adventure Time leaves little room for worrying about my nails looking strange. In some lighting, the base leans a little orangey-yellow. Other times, it's more of a bright, sunny yellow. In any case, it's a very Jake accurate shade.


     I used two coats of I'm not a banana!. I wasn't worried about covering my nail line. It wasn't super noticeable in person. (I did make sure to wear it while my nails were short.) If you have longer nails, VNL might bother you more. I guess you could wear a yellow polish underneath or add another coat, but I think that would kill the depth and jelly squishiness. I wanted to quickly slap on some polish before work, and man, I picked a winner with this one. The formula was fantastic. I only have a couple of Pretty & Polished jellies, so I forget that they go on sooo smoothly. This went on perfectly level with no streaking, even at one coat. The base is just thick enough that it doesn't run and goes where you want it to. Despite my hurried application, this polish behaved so well. (Sorry about my sloppy clean-up and not-so-great pics. I was running late. Story of my life.) A layer of Seche Vite on top to make it shiny, and I was good to go.


     Just look at that squishy jelly glitter goodness! I didn't have to fish for glitters or worry about placement, but I'd definitely recommend leaving the bottle upside down for a few minutes before application. I did this before each coat, and the hexes came out easy peasy. I wore this mani for only one day. No tipwear at all, but the polish did start to lift on a few of my nails. Oh well. At least I got to wear a polish that made me smile (and want to watch Netflix) every time I looked at it, even if not everyone had the same reaction. Funny story, though, one of my regular guests did burst into laughter when I set down his drink. "Oh my God! Your nails! Those are sure to attract some attention!" He tried to suppress his giggles but couldn't. He seemed so honestly surprised and amused. His ex-wife just smiled at me and said, "Whatever makes you happy, honey, that's all that matters."

     I'm not a banana! is still available from Pretty & Polished for $9. It's in the "Say Goodbye!" section now, so it won't be restocked. If you're an Adventure Time fan, but this just isn't your thing, there are lots of other cool polishes to chose from. Go check out the site!

XOXO,
Riotbettyx

3 comments:

  1. Yellow jellies can definitely be tricksy, but the glitters in this one make it highly awesome :) It's quite a pretty shade against your skin, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! Love this yellow jelly and the glitters in it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award!

    http://thepolishplayground.blogspot.ca/2013/05/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete